Vertex Boost Workalike

spren27
I found this cool schematic by mmolteratx on freestompboxes and figured I'd leave it here in case anyone wanted to make a vero of it. It's supposed to be like the vertex boost but with 20dB of gain instead of only 16dB.

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
I just made this layout, and not verified. Probably I'm not going to build this soon.
I ignored the expression jack.
As usually, tell me if there's some mistake.

I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

d3ttn3r
Hey! I'm interested in building a clone of one of these, im pretty new to building, could you by chance build another model like this one but including the expression jack part of the circuit?

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
Ok, it's been easy enough.
The volume resistor is the 10k to the right on the original layout.
Now it is on the jack. When the expression pedal is not connected the resistor is 10k. When you plug the cable of the expression pedal the 10k resistor is disconnected, and the resistor depends from the expression pedal.

I advice you to build the original layout first, to see if it really works, it's still unverified.

Let us to know.
I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Albiswing
I think the expression pedal you hook to the Vertex boost works as a volume pedal even with the boost switched off. The ads say something like  "this way you dont loose signal/top end as happens with other volume pedals".

This means that offwiring cannot be trubypass as usual.
I think this is implemented on the circuit (a switch to the right of the boost pot).
My question is:  Is this feature implemented on the Vero?
Thanks in advance for helping us DIYers with your awesome hability to translate circuits

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
I think I can answer about the effect of the expression pedal and about the output signal.
As you can see in the schematic the expression pedal replace in the last stage the resistor R6 10k in the feedback of the op-amp (between its inverting input and output).
The 10k is on the jack in my last layout.
So you didn't control the output volume, but the gain of the last stage of the circuit, and it works, in the end, like a volume control. (Though, I don't know what happen if the rsistor is 0R. Theorically, it should let pass some signal, but if it too lttle we can get any sound.)
For the same reason, I guess, the signal don't loose top ends like if the volume control was a pot in the end of the circuit.
I build pedals

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

Albiswing
😓
Thank you for the explanation.
I revisited this pedal demos and realized that the expression pedal works only with the pedal switched on. I dont know why I thought the expression pedal could control the volume even with the pedal switched off... Sorry for the confussion

El mié., 1 jul. 2020 12:24, fx-fidden [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> escribió:
I think I can answer about the effect of the expression pedal and about the output signal.
As you can see in the schematic the expression pedal replace in the last stage the resistor R6 10k in the feedback of the op-amp (between its inverting input and output).
The 10k is on the jack in my last layout.
So you didn't control the output volume, but the gain of the last stage of the circuit, and it works, in the end, like a volume control. (Though, I don't know what happen if the rsistor is 0R. Theorically, it should let pass some signal, but if it too lttle we can get any sound.)
For the same reason, I guess, the signal don't loose top ends like if the volume control was a pot in the end of the circuit.
I build pedals

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Vertex-Boost-Workalike-tp18023p48908.html
To unsubscribe from Vertex Boost Workalike, click here.
NAML

Re: Vertex Boost Workalike

fx-fidden
It has perfectly sense, the expression pedal is connected to the circuit in the way I told in my previous post.
I build pedals