Saw this one over at Effects Layouts, and decided to make a vero layout for it, since there are so many Germanium lovers like me around here.
For those who compare the layout to the schematic: Note that I changed the switch lug number from 1 to 3, so that it would be logical when using SPDT (on/on) switches (which is what I normally use), so that the boost is on when you flip the switch up.
EDIT: THE LAYOUT HAS BEEN VERIFIED!
I did some small changes for the pots though:
The Gain pot has most of the gain bundled up at the end, so I replaced it with a C50K
The Tone pot had the opposite issue, so I used A25K
And since I was out of B10K, I used A10K which worked perfectly.
For the transistors I used AC128 for Q1, and AC125 for Q2 and Q3 (3x AC125 became a bit trebly for my tatse)
I normally put them in sockets and judge by my ears, and I just ignore the whole HFE thing.
And HFE is not the most important aspect anyway! The leakage is...
It all comes down the circuit design: either it's picky about the leakage, or it does not matter that much.
So far I have never had an instance where a pedal sounds bad because of wrong HFE values.
I also find measuring transistors so boring and time consuming, that I prefer to just try out random ones, to see if I find a set that sounds good to my ears.
Much quicker and way more fun in my opinion.
I will probably be starting off my build by trying AC125, since I've got loads of them.
So I'm not even paying attention to the specified transistors either, when it comes to Germanium.
I just try a bunch of different ones and see what happens, and then I choose the the ones I liked best.
If it sound different than the original, but still sweet in my ears, then it is great, and I'm a happy geezer
The most important thing is that YOU like the sound of it!