Spaceman Effects WOW Signal Fuzz - Verified

Spaceman Effects WOW Signal Fuzz - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
Another interesting circuit from Spaceman, traced by Dino T.. The vero is verified and I decided to include Dino's mods. The Depth Switch is a internal DIP switch in the original pedal, here it's external. Also the trimpot replaced the 16k resistor found in the original. This allows you to try different types of vactrols or LED/LDR combos.

It's quite picky about transistor selection, Q1 and Q2 needs to be matched, otherwise it will gate and the fuzz will sound ugly. BC179C and BC109C with hfe 573 and 571 worked best for me here. The original had a P416A for Q3 which is a low gain and low leakage russian PNP germanium. Many low gainers sounded good here but a settled with a MP40 (Hfe 52).

Re: Spaceman Effects WOW Signal Fuzz

BetterOffShred
I just recently built a Pong War Machine .. this kind of reminds me of it from the videos I watched.   Except the WOW has a more palatable fuzz, and there doesn't seem to be any LFO tick present on the WOW! Also I am now seeing that these ferrite beads are present in basically all Spaceman builds. So yeah props to you and Dino sir, I appreciate these layouts.   How about the Voyager? ;)
-Brett

Re: Spaceman Effects WOW Signal Fuzz

Hozy31
Thanks for the layout anders. Built it today and it sounds amazing. Got a P146b (Hfe 63) in there at the moment but will experiment later. Cheers
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Spaceman Effects WOW Signal Fuzz

anders
Right on! Which silicon trannies did you ended up with?

Re: Spaceman Effects WOW Signal Fuzz

Hozy31
I used hfe matched 2N5088 & 2N5087 as noted by johnk.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Spaceman Effects WOW Signal Fuzz - Verified

BetterOffShred
Has anyone that's built this "Rolled Their Own" vactrol?   I was looking at the specs on the 5C3, and I'm fairly certain a 5549 LDR and a diffused LED might work, but I was hoping someone had already gotten it going with their own rolley, let me know if so, otherwise I'll just have to experiment.   Thanks again!