SRS EQ Exciter

anders
A heavy fuzz face style fuzz with a quite wild tone control...

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/srs/eqexciter

http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10951

Verified vero

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

Beaker
You've done it again Anders, this is another MONSTER fuzz!

I've not got any 1k pots, so had to use a 5k. I'm sure a 1k will improve the sweep. I've only tried it with 2N2222 so far, so I will try others tomorrow, as it's too late to do it now.

Thanks again for all your great work!

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

anders
Haha, awesome, glad you like it.

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

Beaker
I've had a play around with transistors - I don't have any of the originals. I've tried 2N2222, 2N2904, 2N5088, ME4003, BC108 and MP38.

My favourites are ME4003 and 2N2222 - ME4003 sounds darker, tighter and more compressed, and 2N2222 metal cans are brighter, with more fizz and a looser, more ragged fuzz. For me the 2N2222 wins out.

I'll have to get some 1k pots, as the sweep is lousy with a 5k. I'm sure this will get boxed up though, so thanks again Anders.

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

anders
Yes, 2N2222's is the winner for me as well, tried 2N3409, 2N5088, Mp38 and BC108 and the 2222's suited me best. I really like the Eq control, it goes from really dark and heavy to a skanky blown out fuzz bliss.

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

tracer03
Any chance you could add a gain control, per Brad/CreepyFingers' post here? I'm guessing the layout would need to be re-drawn a bit to accommodate the pot and adding the 240r limiting resistor.

http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10951&start=30#p176270

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

anders
Yeah I tried the distortion pot and it works really good but you want a log taper 50k pot for a good sweep.
Also I found out I preferred higher gain trannies like 2N5088, BC549C etc in there.

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

tracer03
Anders, you're the best!

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

Mulekicker
I need to build one of these.

Re: SRS EQ Exciter

Sphere80
I built Ander's updated layout w/ gain and tried 2222's at first, but settled on 2n5089's. The original 2n3565 transistors varied widely in gains. I've read anywhere from 150-600 hFE, so I felt free to experiment.

  It's a huge, heavy sound!  I'm glad the gain control was figured out, as I usually have it backed off a bit to bring some pick attack in, while still being very distorted.