ReAmping

Marbles
Hey Guys,

I have tried the seach function, but could not find a good example.. I think I'm going to be needing a reamp box. I'm going to use Ableton live in combination with a cheap interface like behringer u-phoria 404 so I can route some guitar effects as external effects.

Behringer offers a 204 and a 404. The 204 only has 2 inputs (need for my guitar and a mic) but also inserts. I don't think the inserts can be used for guitar pedals, so I think I will go for the 404. That one has 4 inputs and 4 outputs. I can use 1 output --> guitar effects ---> interface input (with preamp).

Now I'm going to guess I need a reampbox or something to send the output of the interface to my guitar pedals? Is there a vero for that? Does anyone happen to know if I need one?

I understand this may not belong on this forum, but in case someone knows if I need one and/or knows if a good guide to build one exists somewhere I'd appreciate it!

Re: ReAmping

Neil mcNasty
This post was updated on .
Yes, you will need a reamp box to get the correct signal.
But if you have a DI box, you can send the signal the "opposite way" trough the DI.
For this you will need an female to male adapter in order to get the XLR to fit.
It is not as good solution as a proper reamp box, but close enough to get you started.
Using a DI box has some hiss to it, but a reamp box is dead quiet.

Another and more simple option would be to use two resistors in a voltage divider configuration:
Signal passes trough a 22K resistor, followed by a 1K to ground.
This variant is suitable for converting a normal Line Level/Synth signal into a amp/stompbox friendly signal, but I do not know how noisy/noise-free it is...
This variant has been lifted from this wonderful little converter box from Ken Stone, which should be interesting for many around here:
https://cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs60_sba.html

But remember that many pedals can handle a line level signal just as well as a guitar signal.
Specially the delay and reverbs that are meant for the amp's effect loop...
So I would just try and see what happens when you plug in your pedals directly.
It might sound different but it still could be quite cool...
Many keyboard players play their keys/organs trough a guitar amp with no reamp or DI box.
So it mostly depends on how picky you are about how your amps/pedals react to the signal you feed them.

When sending the signal to a guitar amp in a classic studio reamping situation, then a reamp box/DI box is essential in order to get a signal that will give you the same experience as when using a guitar with the amp.
But if you just want to experiment... Then there are no rules or "correct" way to do stuff anyway...!

Re: ReAmping

SpaceCommandant
I built an effects console (overdrives, envelope filter, delay, chorus... ) to receive tracks from my computer via a Scarlett 6i6, and also to run drum machines and synths through. In this context, I've never used a reamp box and have been totally happy with the results.

Re: ReAmping

balazs.bencs
There's one thing that can be a problem: most of pro (and not that pro) audio gear use balanced connections, but guitar gear is usually unbalanced. Connecting the two will directly create a path for noisy ground current to flow into the audio path. So you'll need to isolate the ground with a transformer. This is pretty easy, I've heard some people had success with the L2A reamp box (schem: https://upverter.com/peterson.goodwyn/859469628167bf2d/LINE2AMP-Re-Amplifier-Rev-C-v3/)

It uses an Edcor transformer, and the only site that I found, where you can buy that transformer is this place: https://www.don-audio.com/Edcor-PC10K-10K

Just make sure you use isolated jack connectors, that's really important.

Re: ReAmping

Sensei Tim
This is a good cost effective diy reamp  kit

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/l2a

Re: ReAmping

Marbles
Thank you All!

Nowhere else would I get an elaborate answer like this straight away, awesome.

I think the 'downfall' of the cheap Behringer stuff is the fact that nowhere it is stated that the outputs are balanced haha. Though the inputs are, so I will see how that works.

I am planning to have some midi synths, drummachines, so I guess the same thing. Does not have to be studio sound, if it gets mangled the better. Maybe my fancy Eventide or Strymon, but probably just a Vox repeater and and DD-6 delay or something. Not sure yet.

I will see how it goes without it first then. In case of hum or not being happy with the effects I know where to look and try to convert from the schematic..

Thanks again all for the clear answers!

Re: ReAmping

SpaceCommandant
BTW, I've built this and it seems to work as it should. Really inexpensive transformer, too.

http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/314.html

Re: ReAmping

GameOver