PLL and Ringstinger

PMowdes
Hey Y'all

Thought you might be interested in some recent projects I've been doing with Dino.

First up is the lovetone ring stinger.  This one has had me pulling my hair out for months, finally traced the issue to a mis-orientated diode on the daughter board.

and the other is a Schumann PLL clone with onboard controls.  We had to rearrange this a few times to make the knobs fit the enclosure but what an awesome effect, the fuzz along is really nice, especially on Bass

We are about half way through the lovetone builds (just the flanger and cheese source to go) and we have pcb's for all of the schumann builds except the F-loop (which is almost impossible to find)

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

Silver Blues
Holy shit the PLL is a much weirder effect than I expected it to be. But you're right, that fuzz sounds great, I wonder if it could be done as a standalone build?
I stand watching the steam-liners roll by...

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

PMowdes

I think the square wave fuzz was isolated and built as a standalone by someone over on DIY, I'll have a look over the schematic and see how easy it is.

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

nocentelli

This works, replace ground connections with half supply vref. I used a 100kA preamp pot with a 1k.

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

PMowdes

Thanks, I think i'll breadboard it and perhaps knock up a pcb

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

Addy Bart
Cool stuff. Will PCBs for the Ringstinger be available to buy?

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

PMowdes

Yes, we have ordered a small stock, they'll be available over on www.deadendfx.com soon.

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

Addy Bart
Excellent

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

Silver Blues
That's the fuzz component? Huh ok, seems simple enough. I'll have to give this one a more thorough look, I'd definitely be interested in it.
I stand watching the steam-liners roll by...

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

Travis
Administrator
Just ordered my PLL boards! Get em while they’re hot

Gonna try to order parts I need for that and a couple other things tomorrow

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

PMowdes

Thanks Travis, much appreciated.  I'm surprised that the Ludwig Phase II boards haven't sold faster :)

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

Travis
Administrator
The Ludwig is insane and I’m blown away that you did that one. I just haven’t heard any clips of that one that made me GAS.

So excited about the PLL though. I’ve wanted to build that since it was traced years ago, but was waiting for a PCB like yours to come out.

Can I use the regular board mounted 16mm alphas (tayda) and regular solder lug mini toggle switches? Wondering if I need to order any long legs or long shafts or other special items for the board mounted stuff.

Re: PLL and Ringstinger

PMowdes

I cant take credit for the Ludwig, that was something Dino did with RG Keen et al.  We just got the boards fabb'd.

As for the PLL it has been design for standard components. 16mm pots and solder lug switches etc

A word of warning though:  Boxing it is a bit of a bitch.

I soldered the switches to the board but not the pots.  I drilled the enclosure and fitted all of the pots onto the board (BUT DO NOT SOLDER).  Fit the board + pots to the enclosure and tighten the nuts,  only then once all the pots were in place did I solder them.  LEDs I fitted last.

I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, I'm sure you have your methods but I was nearly in tears the first time I tried to box mine.

Dino suggested to me that I use solder lug pots and make my own "legs" with solid core wire, it works a treat and gives a little more flexibility than the right angle alpha pots.

Gimme a shout if you need any more help