I was wondering if anyone knew a way to replace the diode selector switch to a diode blend pot on the Pharaoh? I really just want to blend the silicon pair with no diodes, the asymmetrical germanium sounds weak and bland to my ears. This is mainly for aesthetic purposes but maybe it could add something interesting? I’m using a 500k pot in place of the hi/lol switch and it’s more useful. Any help or advice on different diodes to mix would be much appreciated.
By adding a large resistance in series to the anti-parallel pair of diodes (I'd try it at the "in" or "out" point of the diode switch) you may be able to imitate a near open state up to a full closed state. It's worth a try and is as simple as rigging a B1M or B2M pot as a variable resistor in series with those diodes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried putting the silicon pair and switch between lugs 2 and 3of a B1m pot and it just cut the signal out when turned fully counter clockwise. I also wired it the same way I would do a cap blend using the little vero layout here:
I replaced the caps with two diode pairs and got nothing. I’ll just leave it alone. The switch works fine, it’s juTs more for aesthetics and I don’t have room in the enclosure for a rotary switch.
I used that cap blend on a Colorsound Overdriver and it works fantastic. The BAT Black Forest layout squealed when I I built it so I gave this a shot instead. I think I’m going to try it out on my Colossus instead of the cap switch.
Most of the time, I was good with a B100k pot, but some diode combos required more experimentation to avoid dead spots and make the transition smooth. The VFE pots use a center detent, but you'll hear when the diodes sound bypassed.
As far as the germanium pair, double up to raise the level.