Dallas Rangemaster - help

myonus666
I'm sure everyone is tired of these posts on the Dallas Rangemaster.  Frankly, I see so many of them (versions, mods, upgrades) ; I have no idea what the original circuit is :(

I found this on the internet-  and the image is so fuzzy,  I can barely make out the components.

The project:

To add the "original layout and components scheme" to my multi efx board.

The problem:

not so much a problem; as a stepping stone-  my current project is in vero stripboard format.  so to stay in line with that-  I would like to convert this from it PCB layout that I found.  (given that it is correct- and will yield the results I am looking for)  I have plenty of OC44s laying around that need a home-  and the other parts are also in my parts bin.  (so this appears to be a no brainer)

before I go converting this PCB layout to a vero stripboard- I was wondering if anyone has a stripboard version already made that uses this same components and layout (assuming I even have an original layout version)  would you be willing to share- or at least steer me in the right direction to convert this myself?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome

Kind regards,

i honestly have no idea where i found this-  I hope its a good one
Gibson RD Artist Sunburst 1977
Serial: 73127030
Built in: 08-nov-1977 (serial: 030) (Manufactured in Kalamazoo)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate Combo

Re: Dallas Rangemaster - help

Travis
Administrator
The image you posted has the boost pot/output wired incorrectly and also different component values than you'd normally see. I searched for a regular Rangemaster here on the site and I was surprised I didn't see one so I just drew one

Re: Dallas Rangemaster - help

myonus666
Travis-  your amazing.  Thank you so much!

I had a feeling something wasn't right about that other gif I found.  Honestly I haven't been able to even find where I originally downloaded it from.  It probably got deleted, and left in my project folder.

Great work.  So simple.

Kind regards,
Gibson RD Artist Sunburst 1977
Serial: 73127030
Built in: 08-nov-1977 (serial: 030) (Manufactured in Kalamazoo)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate Combo

Re: Dallas Rangemaster - help

myonus666
Travis,

I was just looking for parts,  and noticed that 5nf caps are slim to none.  I did find one guy in china,  who is selling 100pcs...ugh!  but its gonna take 4 weeks for delivery (what are they doing??? making them for me??)

Anyhow-  could I substitute a 4.7nf for the (5nf)   or even possibly stack 5- (1nf)  to reach that value??

Kind regards,
Gibson RD Artist Sunburst 1977
Serial: 73127030
Built in: 08-nov-1977 (serial: 030) (Manufactured in Kalamazoo)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate Combo

Re: Dallas Rangemaster - help

amsterdam
It's the input capacitor. 4.7n or 5.6n should be fine, but of course you can socket and try different values.

Re: Dallas Rangemaster - help

Travis
Administrator
Hey there

You’d be more likely to find 5nf caps by searching “.005uf” but they are mostly old/NOS and mostly large or axial

Most people use 4n7 now, that’s the most practical modern substitution

Re: Dallas Rangemaster - help

induction
myonus666 wrote
Anyhow-  could I substitute a 4.7nf for the (5nf)   or even possibly stack 5- (1nf)  to reach that value??
A common rule of thumb component values in pedals is '10% or less doesn't matter'. With that in mind, you could replace that 5n cap with anything from 4n5 to 5n5 and you probably will not notice any difference.

And yes, putting components in series or parallel to get values that you don't have on hand is very, very common, and rarely causes any negative impact. Some builders even limit their component stock to specific values that they can get tons of very cheaply, and then construct any other value they need by series and parallel combinations of those values.

The only caveat about that I can think of is that caps in series add reciprocally (i.e. 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ...), except for most electrolytics. In other words, two back-to-back film or ceramic caps, each with capacitance C will result in a total capacitance C/2, while a pair of back-to-back electrolytics each with capacitance C and opposite orientation will have a total capacitance of C.