Craig Anderton Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

MAO

Craig Anderton Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

MAO
This post was updated on .
Probably my favorite from Craig Anderton's book Electronic Projects for Musicians.

I've combined both the Envelope Follower and Phase Shifter into a single vero, and updated to use TL074s and a LT1054.

With the Envelope Follower engaged, the amount of phase sweep is controlled by your picking dynamics. Adds a whole new dimension. This in itself makes this pedal a winner (IMO).  Also, with the resonance up high, you can get talk-box like sounds.

The book suggested using a SPDT switch to engage the EF, I use a 3PDT stomp switch. I have it setup so when not using the Envelope Follower, it's removed from the signal path and the input of the LM356 is grounded. It's not necessary, a SPDT is all that is required if you don't want a 2nd LED and leave it connected to the phase shifter's input at all times.

The original Phase Shifter's optos were CLM6000s, I've used NSL-32s in the past. Going to try Tayda LDRS and GL5516s when I get a chance.

The socketed components allow for tweaks as described in the book. I also socketed the four 10nf caps so Univibe values (15n 220n 470p 4n7) or Voodoo Vibe values (15n 100n 47n 4n7) can be subbed.

The Vibe, Filter, Speed and Envelope switches are all optional:
If you don't want the vibrato option, connect the 2 vibe wires together. Omit the Vibe Switch.
If you only want standard phasing and not the filtered option, connect the wires for Filter SW 2 & 3 together. Omit Filter SW-1 wire from the board and the Filter Switch.
If you want just the filtered sound and not the regular phasing sound, connect wires 1& 2 together, and omit wire 3 from the board and the Filter Switch.
The original 10u LFO "speed" cap is shown with an *. If you add the DPDT speed switch, you should lower the value of the 10u cap, and switch in higher value(s) in parallel as shown on the Speed Switch diagram.  If you don't want the speed switch, omit the 2 wires, switch and the two extra caps (C2 &C3).
And last, if you want the have the envelope follower engaged at all times, connect Envelope SW wires 7&8 together, connect sensitivity lug 2 to the Envelope SW 6 board connection and Sensitivity lug 3 to the 2nd input board connection. Omit Envelope SW-9 wire from the board and the Envelope Switch.

The layout was designed to be rotated CCW and fit into a 1590BB.

Verified by me

Cooper side view for cuts

Sample layout - tribute to Crag Anderton for getting my started and Brain Wampler for re-igniting the fire.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst, Nickel Tone Zone & Air Norton Pickups, Sweet 16 wiring

Re: Craig Anderton - Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

H.A.M
Wow! GREAT LAYOUT! thank you man. Hope to build it soon.
I'm already busy with finishing a Naughty Fish  (madbean pcb / Mutron III) and going to start on a Liquid Mercury Tap Phaser (Alex80 layout / David Rolo)

One thing, ... since it's verified by you, shouldn't it be in the verified section?

Re: Craig Anderton - Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

Neil mcNasty
Cool layout!
But...
The main layout picture is too small (low size & resolution) to be readable/usable.
See if you can make the file bigger...

Looking forward to building this.
Any chance for some kind of demo?
MAO

Re: Craig Anderton - Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

MAO
This post was updated on .

FWIW, I'm reworkings Alex's Liquid Mercury layout to accommodate LDRs. Like Mark had done with JohnK's Mutron II layout.

Should have the layout finished tonight, hoping to knock it out next week.

I'll record some sound samples of the Phase Shifter next week too, or maybe tomorrow :0)

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst, Nickel Tone Zone & Air Norton Pickups, Sweet 16 wiring

Re: Craig Anderton - Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

Kinski
Whoa! Amazing!
MAO

Re: Craig Anderton - Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

MAO
I got back to this today and tried some LEDs and LDRs. None of them sounded all that good. The LEDs all seemed too dim, couldn't get the superbrights to go bright, they were also very dim.

The NSL-32s sound better at the moment.

The envelope control is sort of working with the Phase Shifter in the "subtract" mode, but isn't doing much in the "Add" mode...something is off because this was the best sound when I originally built the pedal, and really the whole point in building it again!

More later...

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst, Nickel Tone Zone & Air Norton Pickups, Sweet 16 wiring
MAO

Re: Craig Anderton - Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

MAO
Well, turns out I was losing the -9Vs. No shorts, but when I had both TL074s connected, the -9v would drop to -0.7v. If I removed either one, the -9v would re-appear. (-7.7v to be exact)

I remembered just reading about decoupling caps in a followup letter (by Charles Hansen) to the JamMix article. Page 14 Electronics Now - 04/1997

I added a 1u monolithic cap from pin 11 to ground on the upper TL074 and the voltage came back to -7.7v. I then tried a 10u electrolytic and the voltage is now -8.3.

MAybe this is a known issue with charge pumps, but 1st time I've run in to this sort of thing. Going to do some further research but it seems Charles Hansen's suggestion is on to something. Funny how things work out, I literally just read that article a couple weeks ago.

I'll post an updated layout with the additional cap(s) once I have it sorted out.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst, Nickel Tone Zone & Air Norton Pickups, Sweet 16 wiring

Re: Craig Anderton - Envelope controlled Phase Shifter

velouriafx
Hey, MAO. Any news?