ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

hobbyseason
I just came across this and thought it could be extremely handy as a vero layout :)
www.geofex.com/FX_images/TransformerSplitter.pdf

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Ubertech_s
Can anybody draw this one up??

With a ground lift, phase reversal and isolated transformer outputs it would be excellent at running 2 amps and resolving the inherent problems

Thanks

UT

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Ubertech_s

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Mulekicker
[Ooooh, I hope someone draws this up. Need exactly this.

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Neil mcNasty
Here's a layout for the Hum-Free(er) Splitter.
Been looking over it several times and I'm pretty sure that it is correct/matches the schematic.
But let me know if you spot any mistakes...

I have added some power filtering that is not on the schematic in case you wonder why there are two extra 100uf and 100nf caps compared to the schematic.

This Splitter design does not have any Phase Reversal and Ground Lift functions though...

BUT! A Ground Lift can be added by inserting a SPST (on/off) or SPDT (on/on) switch between the 1nf cap and the transformer. Meaning: add a switch that breaks the connection between the cap and the transformer (one switch for each of the transformers).

Adding Phase Reversal function is something that I expect would require a bit more circuitry (according to my limited knowledge on the subject)

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Ubertech_s
That is great - I will try it out

Im not sure I understand where the earth lift switch connects but i'm sure I will figure it out

Shame there is no phase correction - it would have made a great solution, like the Radial Big Shot

If anyone can seek out a schematic for a Radial Big Shot ABY let us have it

Thanks

UT

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Ubertech_s

this is a phase reversal circuit that could be embeded, uses a TL072

from here:

http://sound.whsites.net/project107.htm

According to the signal flow for the big shot it will come after the isolating transformer on channel B, but their design has the earth lift and ΓΈ rev on B only, which makes sense (diagram below)

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Ubertech_s

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Neil mcNasty
I'll have a look at it and see what I can do...

I see that the Big Shot has a different way of doing the ground lift, then the method that I've been using previously. Gotta try that one. It might be more useful than the one that I've used before (which is totally useless IMO)

Regarding Phase reversal:
The only scenario where I ever have needed a phase reversal switch, is when I have been running two separate pedal chains in parallel going into each their amp.
Then there is a possibility that you come across this problem and would need to correct it.
But when running a single pedal chain into an ABY box, I have never had the need for this, since both amps are receiving exactly the same signal.

There might be amps out there that reverse the phase in their signal path, but that is something I never have come across when running two amps at the same time.
Only when there is a pedal that reverses the phase that is connected to just one of the amps while having both amps active.

Anyway: I'll tro to update the layout with the Ground Lift and Phase Reversal that is featured in the Big Shot diagram, since it is simpler than the other one, that seem to be intended for stereo line signals and not guitar use.

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Neil mcNasty
Here's a modified version with the Ground Lift and Phase Reversal functions from the Big Shot ABY
Hopefully it works as expected on this circuit...

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

hobbyseason
thanks neil!

i forgot all about this thread, in the meantime i finished building my first amp. reaallly need a good splitter now!

has anyone built this per chance ?

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Ubertech_s
Hi Guys

Brilliant Neil - I guess seeing as I asked for it, I should rely try it out and verify it

Does anyone know a (UK) supplier of the transformers?

A link would be useful as I cant make head nor tail of the Farnel site - answered my own question

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Xicon/42TM018-RC/?qs=plB1iWz%252bJMzT%2FlIWSnGXLA%3D%3D

Thanks UT

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

Hozy31

Re: ABY w/ phase reversal and ground lift

hobbyseason
I'm still waiting for my transformers in the post :(

Anyone had any luck with this layout yet?

I've got a a radial big shot on loan at the moment, the phase reversal switch is so handy as i often pair 2 different amps. one of them is almost always out of phase and sounds so weird, hit the toggle and its warm and fat again.