5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO

5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO
This post was updated on .
Verified 04/13/2017 corrected input RF cap value to 150p

Inspired by mirosol's 5-knob compressor layout and Travis' 4-knob 13700 layout.

I've included the option to add either a Tone Control or a 3 position Jangle Switch.

There are a few connections that run through the board, I tried to color code the wires to make them easier to spot.

If using the Jangle Switch, the switch is drawn assuming the middle position of the DPDT on/on/on shorts lugs 1&2 and 5&6.  Middle position is stock position, up is full jangle, down is in between.

If you don't want a Tone control or Jangle switch, omit those wires and move the top of the 15k** resistor up one row.

For the 150kb pots, I used Zugenk Zz's brilliant suggestion and created two 150k pots: Get a 100k dual linear and a 50k dual linear and swap the bottom wafers. Wire together lugs 1a,2a,1b & 2b on each pot and connect lugs 3a and 3b to the board.  Tayda dual pots work perfectly for this.

The offboard wiring isn't as clean as I would have liked, but it fits in a 125b and works, so I guess its all good :0)

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst, Nickel Tone Zone & Air Norton Pickups, Sweet 16 wiring
MAO

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO
Corrected input RF bypass cap value to 150p
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst, Nickel Tone Zone & Air Norton Pickups, Sweet 16 wiring

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

SmokeAndBeers
How's it going?  First I'd like to thank you for going to the trouble of posting this layout.  I'm about to start working on this and I saw your note about converting the dual pots into 150k.  I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where you found that information.  I've googled things like that before and didn't really find what I was looking for.  I also checked the comments on the main page under the 5 knob compressor layout but didn't see that comment although I may have missed it.  For now I'm just using 100k since I don't have any dual 50k's on hand.  But I might order some on my next parts order since you posted that note. Thanks.
MAO

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO
Thanks SmokeandBeers,

I don't believe there is a write up or guide on making the pots. I had read the following suggestion on the main site's Keeley 4 knob from Zugenk Zz3 dated February 2017 at 05:57

"Got an idea for makung a 150k pot. Take 2 stereo pots ( 100k and 50k ) open both and put off one of the carbon slice of each 100k and 50k, turn over both to their places. Then we got 2 pots of 150k, after we solder four pins and rest two pins.
1--2--3. 100k
4--5--6. 50k
Connect 2, 3, 5, 6.
How do you think ?"

I went ahead and tried it, takes less than 5 minutes and very easy to do.

Here was my follow up to Zugenk's post:

"Worked perfectly with the Tayda dual pots. No special tools or worries. Set the pots about midway, use a small flathead to pry up the 4 bottom tabs on each dual pot, remove and swap the bottom wafers, then tighten back the tabs with the flathead or needle nose. Done. Took about 3 minutes 1st time. Nothing flies apart or falls out."

I may have wired the pots slightly different than how he suggested, but works correctly like this - "Wire together lugs 1a,2a,1b & 2b on each pot and connect lugs 3a and 3b to the board"

I have a made a few of these using this layout, let me know if you need help once you give it a go.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst, Nickel Tone Zone & Air Norton Pickups, Sweet 16 wiring

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

SmokeAndBeers
Wow thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I never even thought to check the 4 knob post haha.  I'll let you know how it turns out once I get moving on it.